My Home Was Built in the 90s, Could It Contain Asbestos?

By March 22, 2019 April 4th, 2019 Asbestos Information
Hands of worker using a silicone tube for repairing of window

Asbestos has been around for centuries and has been used for all types of things including construction, pottery, and even clothing. It was mostly used for construction materials in the United States, up until a few decades ago. Asbestos has been used to build homes and businesses throughout the United States. It wasn’t until a few decades ago that people began to take notice of asbestos exposure and health problems. Asbestos exposure is known to cause respiratory issues, as well as, different types of cancers, and even death. Asbestos is very hazardous to your health and could be inside your home.

Homes built before the 90s are at the biggest risk, but homes that were built into the 90s have been found to have trace amounts of asbestos in the construction materials. Asbestos was used in many different types of construction materials, including the following:
• Insulation
Popcorn Ceilings
• Adhesives
• Wallpaper
• Caulking
• Tiles and Roofing

Above are the most common places asbestos was used. Asbestos is durable and heat-resistant, making it a great option for construction materials.

What Should You Do

If you own a home that was constructed in the 90s, you should have an asbestos test completed on your home. Asbestos inspections are the only way to determine if your home has asbestos. You should always have a certified asbestos abatement specialist conduct the asbestos test. These tests are thorough, as your entire home is checked for asbestos. If you do have asbestos, they will walk you through the process and safely remove the asbestos from your home. During this time, you will need to vacate your home, as asbestos removal is dangerous. Once the final inspection is completed on your home, you will be able to return. It is also important to have an asbestos test completed before doing any remodeling, as remodeling can disturb the asbestos and cause it to become airborne and expose the people in your home.

Leave a Reply