What is asbestos exposure? How do you know if you have been exposed to asbestos? Is it dangerous? Unfortunately, most people do not find out about their exposure for years, if not decades. Asbestos exposure is different from other types of exposure. Usually, you become exposed to something, and you become ill not long after. Asbestos exposure works differently. You become exposed, without your knowledge, because asbestos fibers are inhaled or ingested without being seen. The asbestos fibers sit in your lungs, heart, and stomach for years, sometimes decades, until symptoms begin to appear.
What Are the Symptoms of Asbestos Exposure?
Asbestos-related illnesses have a myriad of symptoms. You may become tired or swollen, develop a cough, or have trouble breathing. The symptoms can mimic those of other illnesses. The only way to know for sure that you have an asbestos-related illness is through extensive testing from a medical professional. Some of the many symptoms include:
• Shortness of Breath
• Dry Cough
• Weight Loss
• Respiratory Problems
• Lung Pain
As you can see, these symptoms are often the result of a cold, flu, or allergy. If you do develop any of the above symptoms and the symptoms do not go away, you need to see a doctor immediately. This is especially important if you have been in contact with asbestos or worked in a job where asbestos was common. Asbestos can cause mesothelioma, lung cancer, heart problems, severe lung scarring, and even death. Asbestos exposure is very hazardous to your health. If you believe you have been exposed, see a medical doctor, and let them know. You can also shield yourself and your family by having an asbestos test completed on your home or business. This is one way to keep everyone safe from asbestos exposure.