Asbestos in Your Pool or Spa!

Asbestos has been banned in many products. However, your home could still contain asbestos. Your pool is the last place you would think to check. Some in-ground pools built as early as the 1970s to the late 1990s likely used asbestos materials. Pools were constructed with plaster containing asbestos, as it was cheap, durable, and fire-retardant. This is a concern for older pool owners, as the plaster has likely begun to break down from wear and tear. If this is the case, asbestos exposure is a real possibility. Asbestos Abatement Services has the information you need to keep you and your family safe.

Pool and Spa Testing

The most reliable way to test the plaster of your pool or spa is through a certified asbestos testing and removal company. The tests use a sample of the area that is sent off to a lab for dependable results. If the test does come back as positive for asbestos, your asbestos professional will go over the ways to handle the issue.

Pool Resurfacing 

One way to manage asbestos in pools and spas is through resurfacing. Pool Resurfacing is accomplished by removing damaged areas and covering the old plaster with a new finish. This new finish covers your old pools surface and makes it look new again. This type of asbestos abatement should only be handled by professionals, as asbestos fibers can easily move throughout the area and contaminate clothing and homes.

Pool Removal

The easiest way to ensure all the asbestos is removed from your pool or spa is through complete pool demolition. If there is asbestos in your pool, it is important that an asbestos professional handles the demolition of your pool. They have special licenses, equipment, and suits to prevent asbestos contamination to other areas of the neighborhood.

If you have an older pool or spa, the smart thing to do is have it tested. Even if you do not use the pool, the broken-down materials will cause asbestos to travel through the air, allowing it to enter your home through clothing and other means.

Leave a Reply