Asbestos was commonly used in insulation. It was the perfect fiber for insulation, as it held up to wear and tear, was fire-resistant, and cheap. Asbestos was used for insulation into the 1980s. Even if your home has been remodeled, it likely still has asbestos in the insulation. Insulation is not usually replaced when remodels are completed. Should you worry about having these fibers in the insulation of your home? Absolutely! It is possible that you do not have asbestos fibers in your insulation, but do you really want to take that chance? Asbestos Abatement Services understand the importance of testing and so should you. Below we will discuss insulation and how it can affect your family.
Vermiculite insulation was the most popular insulation used in older homes. A lot of vermiculite was contaminated with asbestos, as it grew naturally in the mines. This type of insulation was called zonolite and was used in homes across America. It was perfect for insulation, because of the asbestos. Unfortunately, asbestos causes severe health issues including respiratory problems, cancer, and even death. Below we will discuss some things you can do to prevent asbestos exposure.
Have an Asbestos Test Completed
This is the easiest way to determine if your home’s insulation contains asbestos. Asbestos tests are completed by certified asbestos professionals. The test is very extensive and will check your insulation and other areas of your home. This is the only way to know for sure if your home has asbestos.
Never Disturb Insulation
Insulation should always be handled by a certified professional. Asbestos could be in the insulation, and you would never know, that is until you become sick. Insulation also contains other products that are not safe to inhale. Always leave insulation removal and installation to the professionals.
Keep Children Out of Attics and Basements
If you know you have Vermiculite insulation, it is important to keep children away from it. If you have not had an asbestos test, this is even more crucial. Children will touch exposed insulation and could easily ingest asbestos fibers.
The bottom line is never to attempt to remove insulation and always have an asbestos test completed on your home. Asbestos tests are affordable and could save your life!