Asbestos and lead are two hazardous materials that are commonly found in older buildings. Both commercial and residential properties were built using asbestos-containing materials and lead paint. Before the 1990s, both asbestos and lead were not seen as a threat. They were items that bettered the quality of construction materials. Once asbestos and lead were found to cause illnesses, they were better regulated. Asbestos is still not fully banned, but lead paint is no longer used.
Lead paint is still found in older properties, even those that have been remodeled. While this may not be a hazard to most healthy adults, it can be dangerous for children, pregnant women, and the elderly. If your home has not been tested for lead paint and it is older, now is the time. Lead paint can be removed, which can keep your family safe from the many symptoms of lead poisoning. Lead poisoning symptoms include:
• Cognitive Problems
• Behavioral Issues
Asbestos exposure causes many illnesses. From pleural thickening to lung scarring and cancer, asbestos causes severe respiratory illnesses. Some of the many symptoms include:
• Chest Pains
• Difficulty Breathing
• Lung Pain
• Coughing Up Blood
Asbestos-related illnesses do not show up as soon as you have been exposed. It is often years or even decades later before any symptoms occur.
As you can see, both lead and asbestos exposure are hazardous. Both can be avoided through the proper testing and safe removal of asbestos and lead from the property. If your home is older, consider having a lead and asbestos testing completed. It will give you peace of mind that your home is safe from the many illnesses of asbestos and lead poisoning.