Asbestos and lead are a duo of the more toxic hazardous materials that you will find on your property. The main reason being they cannot be seen by the unaided eye. You cannot physically see the dangers, which puts you at a higher risk. If you can see something harming you, you are more likely to have that material removed. Asbestos and lead are both silent killers because you may not know you or your family is being exposed until you develop symptoms or have the home tested.
As we stated above, asbestos cannot be seen, making it even more deadly. Asbestos fibers can spread throughout your home, putting your entire family at risk. You can unknowingly expose everyone in the home through remodels. The only way to know for sure if your home asbestos-containing materials are through asbestos testing. An asbestos test is highly accurate, as samples are taken from different areas of your home. Once gathered, they will be tested at a lab. If your home has asbestos, it will need to be removed as soon as possible, as asbestos exposure is linked to cancers such as mesothelioma, severe respiratory illnesses, and even death.
Lead poisoning is usually not a concern for the regular healthy adult. Lead poisoning generally affects young children, the elderly, and pregnant women. Lead paint was used for years in homes across the United States until it was found to cause severe illnesses. If your home is older, it is a wise decision to have it tested for lead. Lead paint can lead to behavioral problems, cognitive issues, comas, and even death. If you have or may have any of the above at-risk people in your home, a simple test can ease your mind and know your family is protected.