Are More Men Being Diagnosed with Asbestos-Related Illnesses?

By May 20, 2020 June 29th, 2020 Asbestos Information
Senior doctor talking to male patient at hospital

Mesothelioma and other asbestos-related illnesses have commonly been diagnosed with men. This has been the trend for decades. People have wondered why men predominantly have been diagnosed with asbestos-related illnesses. The main reason is that men worked jobs where they came into direct contact with asbestos fibers. Blue-collar jobs like shipbuilding, railway workers, construction, auto mechanics, and miners were regularly exposed to asbestos. No one knew the devastating effects at the time, and decades later, men were being diagnosed with mesothelioma and other illnesses. While this has been the case for a long time, the tides are changing.

Men and women are both being diagnosed at a high rate. While very few women were initially diagnosed, we are now seeing an influx of women having asbestos-related illnesses. Many ask why this is the case? With more women in the workplace, it is no surprise they are being exposed. Shockingly, there are being exposed to other areas such as hospitals and schools. How is this possible? The older buildings that contain asbestos are starting to breakdown and need remodeling. As the breakdown of the asbestos-containing material, people are being exposed to their workplaces.

There are regulations in place that are supposed to protect workers, but unfortunately, it is not foolproof. We are also seeing younger adults having asbestos-related illnesses. This is usually through secondary exposure or from their own homes having asbestos. Asbestos is a dangerous fiber that is affecting men, women, and even children at alarming rates.

The best way to protect yourself is through asbestos testing and removal of asbestos from your home or property. Men are still more likely to have asbestos-related illnesses because asbestos exposure is much more common in blue-collar jobs, but more and more women are being exposed. If there is a chance you have been exposed, contact your doctor and let them know. There is a test that can be run and new advances in technology.

Leave a Reply